I'm intrigued by this idea. During a given minute of time I may get 1000 messages. 1/4 of them are slown down (occupying more SMTP/Declude sessions), but the burdon is spread out.

Actually, with true tarpitting, there would be slightly fewer SMTP32.exe and Declude.exe processes (they would only get started after the E-mail was received). The number of SMTPD connections ("live" TCP/IP connections) would increase, but IMail can technically handle 1,000+ simultaneous SMTPD connections.

Can this be applied to increase server capacity? If I throttle, at the firewall, the IPs of spammers, will the load on my server be less?

It would be less, assuming that IMail can handle it (and that your firewall can do the tarpitting). I'm not aware of any firewalls that can do true SMTP tarpitting (which requires sending short bits of data occasionally to prevent timeouts), but you could simulate it with throttling.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.