.8 is one of those F-U blacklists that punishes every user on a system because a network administrator saw fit to complain. I would think that most of these organizations are bandwidth providers with some sort of firewall that got tripped by the testing. Spammers don't rely on open relays in their own netblocks. I don't see any reason to use this test.

.6 is an example of overzealousness and it is defeatist in nature. Less people will rely on such lists if in fact the list provider starts blocking millions of legitimate users. It ignores false positives and becomes more of a political statement in effect, and that doesn't help me much. My users don't care if SORBS is blocking Cox, they just want their E-mail from a friend or business associate.

Unfortunately this goes both ways. Cox recently started blocking outgoing SMTP traffic over port 25 from at least some of their markets. They did this in order to combat the spam coming from their users. The net result is that they might find their way off of some blacklists, but E-mail providers are now limited in the solutions they can provide to their customers since users must use Cox's own SMTP server.

I wouldn't call that a win. Unfortunately it seems that there are many overzealous lists out there, and my thinking is that this is due to what compels someone to start offering a blacklist for free...they're fed up and they're not going to take it anymore!

Matt

Eje Gustafsson wrote:

If someone demands they not get listed then they deserve to get
blacklisted because OBVIOUSLY they have something to hide.

.6 is List of hosts that have been noted as sending
     spam/UCE/UBE to the admins of SORBS.  This
     zone also contains netblocks of spam supporting
     service providers, this could be for providing
     websites, DNS or drop boxes for a spammer.  Spam
     supporters are added on a 'third strike and you are
     out' basis, where the third spam will cause the
     supporter to be blocked.

.8   List of hosts demanding they are never tested by
    SORBS.

So of course someone that host spammers will demand they never be
tested. Almost should be a case for immediate blocking IMO.

Either way with declude there is not reason to directly block anything
just use a weighted system where each test add to the total weight.

Best regards,
Eje Gustafsson mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Family Entertainment Network http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777 Fax : 620-231-4066