Running JunkMail since May 2002.  I've done a bit of tuning on test weights, am using Sniffer and several filters, contra-filter, and blacklist of my own based on false-positives that I find on my own accounts, but I haven't done near the amount of tuning that some have done.  I delete on weight20.  I can't actively track misses and false-positives for all users because of the sheer volume, over 1.5 million messages pass through here each week.  My .dec logs (on level high) are generally 1 GB in size per day.  Running DLAnalyzer reports that average 89% of total mail volume is deleted per day, with about 1.5% delivered tagged as "possible spam" (weight14 to 19)  I have had a couple complaints in recent weeks of users not getting newletters and other "fringe" material.  In those cases I do a temporary whitelisting on their account then do a contra-filter to reduce the weight on the msgs in question.

It's a sad situation, really.  If I didn't have some way to get rid of the spam, it would sap up huge amounts of drive space and many users would simply give up on the battle and abandon their mail accounts.

Glenn Z.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 3:07 PM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] How good does it get?

I just installed the demo (Tuesday I believe) and I have it set to warn
only. My plan is to move everything with a weight of 20 or above to a 'spam'
folder in each users webmail. I may be able to do 15, so far the highest
legitimate mail we've seen was 14.

Looking at what's coming in, I'm getting about 80% of all spam. Another user
I have watching the headers (Outlook rule) is getting about 40%.

I'm going to go through the manual and see how smoothly I can get this
running, but of course management wants 100% of spam captured with no
legitimate mail blocked. How close can I expect to get? What levels of spam
are you guys capturing and what levels of legitimate mail is being blocked?

Any tips on what default settings I should mess with first? Any good threads
in the archives that I should read through?

Thanks in advance,

~Brad

This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found