I certainly DO NOT want the ISPs to block outbound port 25!!

We have a number of mail customers that must send there outbound mail
through the ISPs SMTP server.  Now we rely on them to keep the SMTP
server up and running, relaying in a timely manner, not adding footers
to the email and providing customer service for outbound SMTP issues.
Have you ever tried to call Earthlink, Sprint, SBC or PacBell about an
SMTP issue??  The point fingers more than the telephone side does!

I want the ISPs to be forced (by law) to shutdown users who send spam.
But I don't see this happening any time soon.  If it did, some spammer
would probably sue the ISP for shutting him down after sending child
pornography to pedophiles.  I he would probably win.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I must fight this battle myself
(with a lot of help from my fellow mail admins) and not rely on the
government for help.  They don't want to get into the political mess
this could cause.

Thanks to the work of Scott, I have a great tool for this battle.  And
thanks to everyone else here, I have a place to educate myself on how to
fight this battle.

Fight the good fight, people!!!

Todd Holt
Xidix Technologies, Inc
Las Vegas, NV  USA
www.xidix.com
702.319.4349

Charges

> If ISPs would block outbound port 25 that would go a long way towards
> keeping spam. Right now most of our spam is coming from cable and DSL
IPs.
> We block outbound port 25 except from our mail servers and a couple of
> customers who have a legitimate reason to use another mail server. If
so
> we
> open a hole to that mail server only. It's done on a case by case
basis.
> Is
> it a pain in the ass? Most certainly but if any spam leaves our
network it
> will be easy as hell to track. It really burns my ass to be spammed
from
> these networks because the provider is either too lazy or incompetent
> block these ports.
>
> David Daniels
> Administrator
> Starfish Internet Service
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Charges

> > I agree with you.  The statement was more general than it should
have
> > been.  Personally I think the ISP route
> > is one of the best places to begin active anti-spam measures at....
> (Sorry
> > ISP admins).  If legislatively, ISPs
> > can be forced to have customers adhere to strict RFC compliance and
if
> > legislatively ISPs can be forced to take
> > consistent and strict measures it might force spammers into smaller
and
> > smaller corners.
> >
> > I don't represent and ISP, so maybe I'm being to optimistic.
> >

> > Burzin
> >

> > At 10:59 AM 12/12/2003, you wrote:
> > >The only people that will hit the spammers' pocketbooks are the
ISPs
> getting
> > >together and forcing them out of their jobs... or to get people to
stop
> > >buying their stuff!
> >
> > ------
> > Burzin Sumariwalla               Phone: (314) 994-9411 x291
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Fax:   (314) 997-7615
> >                                            Pager: (314) 407-3345
> >
> > Networking and Telecommunications Manager
> > Information Technology Services
> > St. Louis County Library District
> > 1640 S. Lindbergh Blvd.
> > St. Louis, MO  63131
> >
> > ---
> > [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]
> >
> > ---
> > [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus
> (http://www.declude.com)]
> >
> > ---
> > This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
> > unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
> > type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found
> > at http://www.mail-archive.com.
> > ---
> > [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

> (http://www.declude.com)]

> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus
> (http://www.declude.com)]

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]