> >I can't (nor wish) to stop my users accessing my email servers from other
> >than my IP addresses but I can't see how I can allow this and at the same
> >time fully implement the usefulness of SPF.
>
> Ideally, you would have all your users use your mailserver.

How can you force this?

By saying "People that use an E-mail address on our domain must send E-mail through our mailserver." Of course, that isn't possible or appropriate for some domains (hence the "Ideally" above). But there are also lots of domains that do have that level of control.

> But if that isn't an option for you, "+mx ?all" is the answer.  Anyone
> sending mail from your mailserver gets "credit" (either whitelisted or
> their E-mail less likely to be marked as spam),

I was/am thinking not from the point of view of Declude Junkmail rather than
another mail server that utilises SPF - sees that it FAILS and then drops
the connection and refuses to deliver it.

The SPF record that you publish is used by anyone using SPF, not just Declude JunkMail. So if you publish "v=spf1 +mx ?all", then any mailserver using SPF will treat any E-mail from your users that isn't sent from an IP of yours the same way that it treats all other E-mail that it doesn't know anything about (in other words, exactly the same way that it would treat your mail if you do not have an SPF record). Therefore, by publishing the SPF record, you will be guaranteed to benefit.

The "+" means PASS, which instructs remote mailservers to whitelist the E-mail (although they may instead just subtract weight from the E-mail, making it less likely to be treated as spam). The "-" means FAIL, which instructs the remote mailserver to reject the E-mail (although they may instead just add weight to the E-mail). The "?" means UNKNOWN, which instructs them to treat the E-mail exactly as they would if you did not have an SPF record.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.