Andy,

Harvesting from business cards dropped in a fish bowl is not a best practice, even if they feel justified in doing so.  Address collection should be done by a method that follows MAPS standards, and E-mail campaigns need to follow their same best standards as well. Even if you do so, you will likely still find yourselves vulnerable to places like SpamCop.

    Basic Mailing List Management Guidelines for Preventing Abuse
    http://www.mail-abuse.org/manage.html

Matt

Andy Ognenoff wrote:
The first thing I would do is check to see if your Internet provider has a
TOS that prohibits spamming (which is very likely).  If so, you may want
pass that information on to the marketing department.  If they know that
their actions could risk the company losing Internet access even
temporarily, they will likely think twice about it.

Understood...but what they want to do is not what I would classify as spam
if it's done correctly.  Gathering email addresses from people who opt-in to
receive special offers or news and sending out those special offers to only
those people wouldn't be spam.  My question was really how do I explain what
the technical aspects of running a legit email marketing campaign involve
and perhaps helping me compile a list of those technical aspects so I don't
accidentally leave any out.

Have no fear...if I can't make them understand the difference between a
legit email campaign and SPAM they won't be doing it at all. :)

- Andy

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/