Currently I have my ip4r tests running first, then the rhsbl's, then the
badheaders, base64, comments (etc.) tests.  Then come the fromfiles and
last come the filters.

Do you mean that is the order they are listed in in one of your config files? That will not affect the order they are run in.

Scott, it sure seems like it would be nice if we could do maxweight and
skipifweight on EVERYTHING, or would that impose an unacceptable
overhead penalty?

Yes, it would be nice.

And is there a way to determine the time taken by each test?

No, because often it can't easily be calculated (when tests are run in parallel).

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.