-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Hoyt
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 3:56 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] MS SMTP "store and forward"

I would like to set up an SMTP mail "store and forward" server using
Microsoft's SMTP server that can accept email for my domains in the
event that my primary iMail server is temporarily down.  I would also
like to be able to send outbound email through this secondary server
because we occasionally do an emailing to our customers and when this
emailing occurs my iMail outbound queue fills and my iMail users can
experience a performance hit using IMAP.

I have MX records for the three domains (commarts.com,
designinteract.com, and creativehotlist.com) that point to
mail.commarts.com as the primary mail server and direct.commarts.com as
secondary mail server (higher preference
number) and have RDNS records for these two mail servers.

The setup seems simple enough:  Run MS SMTP on the IP address for my
secondary email MX record and this should take care of the "store and
forward" part (if my primary email server is unreachable the secondary
will take the mail and should attempt delivery to the primary mail
server for the number and timing of attempts configured in SMTP
properties).

I want to be able to send outbound mail through this secondary email
server without running an open relay.  So in short:
1) I want to be able to receive email addressed to my domains through my
secondary server that is then passed on to my iMail primary server.
2) I want to specify an internal IP address that is allowed to send
through the secondary mail server's SMTP service.
3) I want to make sure that no email not originating from the IP address
specified in 2 above is relayed to any domains that are not one of my
three domains.

iMail server always accepts email with an internal destination-is this
also true of MS SMTP? If no, how does one set up MS SMTP to accept mail
to internal domains and deny relaying of mail from external to external
domains.

Thank you in advance,

Michael Hoyt
Communication Arts
110 Constitution Drive
Menlo Park, CA  94025
(650) 326-6040  fax:(650) 326-1648

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Site: http://www.commarts.com

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.