> I  was careful to say that it will "appear" like an open relay. This
> is  important because I saw two different GroupWise servers attacked
> in  the  same week because they accepted every message regardless of
> domain...

"Regardless  of domain?" That's not what happens with MS SMTP (with or
without  ORF).  MS  SMTP  doesn't need to accept messages for wildcard
domains.  I  don't know what's up with that GroupWise install, but boy
is that janky behavior--not on par with the rest of the discussion.

> ...dictionary  attacking  a  server  that accepts all addresses on a
> particular domain.

Which  isn't the same as "regardless of domain," since one connotes an
open relay and the other doesn't at all!

> This is an important distinction, and you have said yourself that SMTP
> envelope rejection of invalid addresses is necessary under the current
> realities.

It  is  indeed  necessary,  but you were talking about closing an open
relay, which has been necessary for a looooooot longer.

> Why  would  you  quote  ["Currently  I  only  verify  the  recipient
> domain..."]  when  the  full  sentence said, "however we are working
> towards  a system that registers every valid address and rejects all
> others;

Because  you  made  it  seem  as  if verifying the recipient domain is
something  that requires configuration, when it's default behavior for
an  MS  SMTP remote domain. Seemed to give the impression that MS SMTP
needs more tweaking than it does.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of