From: "Bill Landry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Random Helo strings

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There is great value in knowing these patterns, and simply having a
> bogus HELO is not enough to consider something as being spam.

In this case I think it is good enough to consider it spam.  It is not an
RFC compliant helo hostname, and only a spammer is going to include
something like brackets "[]" and greater-than/less-than "<>" symbols in
their hostname.  That's good enough for me to reject delivery on.  To me
it's no different that a spammer trying to send me mail and using my
server's hostname or IP address as their own helo hostname - I reject these
outright.

> When spammers randomize header elements, they actually create patterns
> that can be tracked.  This is ever evolving.  Clearly we know about the
> use of the MX's IP as the HELO, and also the use of the reverse DNS
> entry as the HELO, and now it appears that there might be a different
> pattern of some sort in use by at least one spammer.

My feeling is why bother.  Why expend the resources to process something
that you know is spam?  Anyway, I respect all of your opinions, this one
just happens to be mine, and I'm sticking by it...  ;-)

Bill