Thanx Bud,

I think a script will be necessary since there are about 800 legitimate
addresses. The aliases are in the registry so with some simple scripting
I could import a list into the registry.

Just to make sure I understand, you would not add any users to the iMail
domain you would just add aliases? Right?

     Goran Jovanovic
     The LAN Shoppe

GroupWise
> >as the e-mail system. We are seeing many e-mails going to students
that
> >are not there anymore which then creates an NDR at their end which
then
> >floods their system .....
> >
> >Now is it possible to do one of two things:
> >
> >1) Get a current list of people (staff and students) and somehow only
> >allow mail to those recipients. In a filter you would have to use an
> >ALLRECIPS check perhaps with a negative number, although not sure how
> >this will delete the bad mail since I have nothing to add to the
score
> >when the old e-mail address comes up.
> >
> >2) I think what I would really like to do is work on building up a
list
> >of old students getting mail and then if the mail is addressed to
them
> >delete it. So something like ALLRECIPS 100 CONTAINS
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] in a filter but the problem I see with this is
if
> >the mail is addressed to both an old student and a current
student/staff
> >then it would still trigger and then delete the mail.
> >
> >Anyone have any other thoughts on this or better ways to make this
> >happen?
> >

> My guess is that you have forwarding turned on for the IP address of
the
> GroupWise server.  Mail for that domain (we'll call it
'theschool.com')
> comes in to your iMail box. A lookup in your iMail server's HOSTS file
> yields the IP address of the GW server, and the message is forwarded.
>
> This would probably be easier (easiest?) using iMail aliases.  Set up
> virtual domain on your iMail box for 'theschool.com'.  Don't add any
> users yet.  Add an entry to the iMail systems HOSTS file, substituting
> the GW server's IP address:
>
> 192.168.1.1  gw.theschool.com
>
> Now for legitimate users of the GroupWise system, add an alias to the
> 'theschool.com' domain:
>
>  UserName = [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> With this setup, legitimate mail is sent to the correct address, and
bad
> addresses are rejected at the iMail server -- no bounce traffic, just
> closed connection.  This can also be a useful tool if the GW
> administrator want to limit who can be a legitimate 'internal' mail
> users, but not receive mail from the outside world, or if they have
some
> crazy urge to have all badly addressed mail sent to a particular
address
> (the iMail 'nobody' alias)
>
> You might be able adapt one of Sandy's utility scripts to import the
GW