I found MaxQueProc in the registry and changed that to 60. There is no GUI config for this option.

I also looked at the issue with MS DNS 2003. After a restart of DNS, utilization dropped from an average of about 25% to under 1% (I had it in performance monitor)...but then over the next couple of hours, it has crept back up to 10%. I have watched it enough to verify that it's utilization grows consistently over time. Disabling the EDNS thing has no effect. I've found nothing really telling about this in Google, but it looks like a classic memory leak. This installation was fresh and there is hardly anything installed on it. I would be a bit surprised to see a memory leak in DNS go undetected/unfixed at this point. If anyone else has experienced this, or can confirm my findings, please speak up. I was intending on using this server for my Web hosting DNS, but this may keep me from going there.

Matt

R. Scott Perry wrote:

You seemed to indicate that service launched processes count against the threads...meaning that smtp32.exe launches declude.exe, which launches F-Prot and McAfee. So would this count for 4 threads (not according to Declude, but Windows/IMail)? What about Sniffer and each external test that I have configured within Declude, would those count as well?

Unfortunately, we are not aware of a way to determine if a process was started by a service or not. Currently, Declude looks for declude.exe, smtp32.exe, scan.exe, F-Prot.exe processes (and any processes listed in the rarely used DAISYCHAIN option).

Note that SMTPD32.exe -- the IMail process/service that starts Declude -- is just a single process, so it will only count once.

Message Sniffer and other external tests won't count, since Declude doesn't specifically look for it (but it does indeed count as a service-started process, and could cause the memory limit to be reached). However, there would only be a maximum of one of them per E-mail (since Declude runs the external tests in serial, not in parallel).

I also re-read the following post by Sandy:

http://www.mail-archive.com/imail_forum@list.ipswitch.com/msg94576.html

It seems to indicate that there is no "thread limit", but something else instead; a limit of "64 objects per thread".

That's not related here. The overflow issue deals with processes, not threads. Processes are what are listed in the "Process" tab in the Task Manager (such as one SMTPD32.exe process, 0 to 30 or so Declude.exe processes, etc.). Each process can have from 1 to an (almost) infinite number of threads.

I'm not sure how that might apply here. So if I am seeing overflow with processing power to spare, I should be able to increase the threads in IMail to a higher number than 60 in order to better utilize my server's capacity. With memory utilization below 50%, it doesn't seem like there is much risk in doing this, would that be correct?

Anything referring to "thread" or "threads" in IMail settings is not relevant to this (IMail v8 introduced one or more "thread" options).

Declude JunkMail looks at the MaxQueProc IMail registry setting (which may also be an advanced setting in IMail Administrator, with a name such as "maximum number of processes"). Any other settings are not used.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.

----
This outgoing message is guaranteed to be authentic by Message Level users.
Guarantee the authenticity of your email @ http://www.messagelevel.com.