Joey,

Declude is very effective when tweaked. Not to mention the default global.cfg ships without all of the RBL's that most of us use (XBL, UCE, MAIL-POLICE, SENDERDB). Also, there are other 3rd patry utilties which are very effective at catching spam like like invURIBL and Message Sniffer. Both of those applications have trial versions.

Are you still using the default scale? Since you have been working with your global.cfg you might want to post it to the list for us to look over it and see what you have done so far as to make suggestions.

For your clients that you are not in control of I would imagine that you know the ip blocks they come from or the firewall ip that they are behind that. You can whitelist that ip so that them failing the cmdspace will not be a factor. CMDSPACE is very effective but direct connects from clients using outlook will set that off.

For SPAMHEADERS I use "LOOSENSPAMHEADERS ON" this relaxes the spamheaders test so that it does not trigger on missing message ID emails.

Hope that helps,
Darrell
Check out http://www.invariantsystems.com for utilities for Declude And Imail. IMail/Declude Overflow Queue Monitoring, SURBL/URI integration, MRTG Integration, and Log Parsers.

Joey Proulx writes:

Hello,

Just downloaded the demo version of Junkmail Pro, and I was curious about the basic setup. For the last two days I've monitored and tweaked and held and redirected and spent hours upon hours looking over the junkmail setup and rules and whatnot. I'm wondering if I'm reinventing the wheel. I work for a school district with a big spam problem, but as any of you in gov't know, if I tell them we should buy something I need to make sure it works. I was just wondering if there are any tried and true setups that any of you are using to cut down on the spam. I'm seeing that this system works, but I'm also still running the built-in Imail filter, and I've seen quite a few messages that get caught by Imail, but have a Declude score of 0, that should NOT have made it through. Do you all still run the builtin Imail spam as well? Any filters I should definitely setup?

I'm seeing a lot of CMDSPACE and SPAMHEADERS (missing MessageID header) from some local clients (I don't control all my clients, so I don't think I can make them authenticate). Should I do away with these tests, or can I fix these two issues on the server side?

Thanks for all your help.

Joey Proulx
SAU #21 Technology Support Staff
2 Alumni Drive