Unfortunately, wr erase only works from enable mode.  We can only get to monitor mode, as the Pix hangs after loading the flash image... I'm guessing it hangs in the process of loading the startup-config.

Darin.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Erasing Cisco Pix 515 flash RAM

Best way to reset a PIX to factory defaults (if you can log in) is "write erase" then reboot.  If you don't have the password, check this out: "http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/34.shtml#pix_without".

Not 100% if you can do it from the monitor, but I've been in a similar trap in the past and distinctly remember using "write erase."

Enjoy!
Sam

Darin Cox wrote:
This is way off topic, but I'm desperate so I'm appealing to the list...

We just purchased a used Cisco pix 515 running 7.0(4) that won't boot due to what we believe is a corrupted startup-config.  Does anyone out there know how to clear NVRAM on a pix from monitor mode?  We can't get to enable mode due to the corrupted start-config, so it has to be done from monitor mode.

We've tried everything we can think of, even a special flash erase image from Cisco, but it needs the Pix to be running 6.2(2) to work, and we don't have that image.

Any Pix experts out there have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Darin.

--
S.J.Stanaitis
Network Administrator, Decorative Product Source

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(877)-650-8054 x160