From: Scott Fosseen
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 10:33 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] why have spam scores jumped?

Another way to look at it.

Recursion:
  Off: DNS server can only answer queries from its local zone files.
Queries for any other records returns no results.  Used when server is
authoritative for Public domains (declude.com, nasa.gov)
  On:  DNS server will try to answer all Queries.  If it does not know the
answer it will call out to other DNS servers to get the answer.
( I run both.  I have 4 non-recursive DNS servers for hosting zone files,
and 2 recursive DNS servers for workstations to point to.  )

Forwarders:  Valid only if Recurion is on.
    If Forwarder is set and DNS server does not know the answer to a query,
the DNS server will ask the Forwarder DNS server for the answer.
    If no Forwarder is set and the DNS server does not know the answer to a
query the DNS server will contact the Root servers and find the answer
itself.

My experience with  MS DNS is that forwarders are setup at installation
because the installer assumes a blank forwarder means the DNS server will be
unable to lookup addresses.  Because DNS works with a forwarder the setting
gets left on.  About the only time I recommend forwarders is if the site
uses something like OpenDNS for Content Filtering, in which case all queries
should go tot he OpenDNS servers.