I was under the impression that if I put:

SKIPIFVIRUSNAMEHAS Sobig

In the recip.eml then the recipient of the virus will not be alerted if
Sobig is the virus.

Correct.

This works fine for Sobig but I noticed that I am not receiving a virus
notification for other viruses as well.  So I tested the Eicar virus with
the above in the recip.eml and without it.  With that line in the recip.eml
I do not get a notification for Eicar and without it I get a notification.

Is this a feature, bug, or a misunderstaing on my part... Or possibly all of
the above? :)

That isn't the intended behavior.

The debug mode should help here. To use it, change the "LOGLEVEL LOW" line in \IMail\Declude\virus.cfg to "LOGLEVEL DEBUG". Then, send the test eicar.com file through (using our Test Virus Sender at http://www.declude.com/tools ), and then switch back to "LOGLEVEL LOW" (the debug mode adds huge amounts of information to the log file). You can then send me the \IMail\spool\vir####.log file (as an attachment, NOT sent from web messaging), and I can take a look at it to see what is happening.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.