> How can I figure out if freshclam is grabbing the latest defs?

I set up a scheduled task update_clamav to run every 2 hours or so:

start in: c:\clamav-devel\bin\
run: freshclam.exe --quiet -l c:\clamav-devel\log\freshclam.log

Then I can check the freshclam.log file.

> I have "Rundclamd" running as a service under LocalSystem. Should I
> set the startup type to "Automatic" or leave it at "Manual"?

  Mine is set to automatic.

> If I leave it on "Manual" do I need to rerun "runclamd -start" after
> a reboot?

  Yes.

  The point of runclamd is to be able to use clamdscan (the daemon or
  service) rather than clamscan.  runclamd has a log too.