5XXSINK Release 0.5.01
12/12/2005
                              *****

Release notes for this version:

[ + Added feature            ]
[ * Improved/changed feature ]
[ - Bug fix                  ]
[ ^ Cosmetic/naming change   ]

[+]  Added  new  feature,  RHS PRESCANNING, to help with processing of
large  recipient  lists  under  certain circumstances. The prescan.txt
file,  if it exists, is scanned before the rcptlist.txt. If a match is
found,  processing  continues  in  rcptlist.txt.  If  no match, 550 is
returned  immediately.  If no prescan.txt is found, the feature is not
enabled.

The  intent  of  prescan.txt is that it can be a global repository for
allowed  RHS  (right-hand-side,  i.e. domain) strings. You list all of
your domains in prescan.txt as follows:

    @example.com
    @example.net
    etc.

When messages are processed, they are FIRST matched against this list.
This  allows  you  to  cut  down  the  initial  scan for recipients at
_unknown_  domains  substantially; for example, if you have 100 hosted
domains  with  100  users  each, and you are the erroneous victim of a
directory  harvesting  attack  against  a  domain  you  DO  NOT  host,
rejections  with prescan.txt in place will take 1% of the time they if
the  entire  rcptlist.txt  were scanned! However, be somewhat careful:
scanning  prescan.txt  does  add  its  own  overhead.  If  you are not
concerned about such pure-DoS attacks, you will end up lengthening the
lookup  time  for  each  recipient,  though likely the effect would be
negligible.

NOTE  #1:  if  prescan.txt  is enabled, users _must_ have their domain
listed  in prescan.txt AND their username in rcptlist.txt (or, if they
are  in  a  wildcard  domain,  they  must  have  that domain listed in
prescan.txt _and_ in rcptlist.txt).

NOTE  #2:  RHS prescanning is not the same as domain wildcards. Do not
be confused. See below.

[*]  Official  support  for  DOMAIN  WILDCARDS.  This  support in fact
existed  previously,  but  I  was determined to discourage people from
using  it,  since I'm such an opponent of 'nobody' setups. Well, a few
people  wrote  to  me  and  changed  my  mind.  Anyway, when you enter
wildcards, you do not use the asterisk (*) character. You simply enter
domain names like so:

    @example.com
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    @example.net
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You  may as well put your domain wildcards at the top of your list, so
they  get  processed  first. You're going to need all the help you can
get processing the backscatter. . . .

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of