A quick update on this.

I verified that when the virus scanner triggers using AVAFTERJM  ON, the COPYFILE action will not trigger.  This is good.  It also means that people can ROUTETO a null account (auto-delete account), and use the COPYFILE action in place of HOLD and avoid having viruses stacking up in their held E-mail.  The COPYFILE action also allows for adding JunkMail headers if you include the following command in your Global.cfg, which can be a further benefit.

    COPYFILEACTIONWITHHEADERS    ON

Apparently this is the default in SmarterMail...confusing.

There is one caveat to turning this on that I should have mentioned earlier.  Declude will modify the recipients in the Q* file if they were changed by a COPYTO or ROUTETO action whereas the HOLD action doesn't modify the Q* file.  I did previously ask Declude to modify this behavior so that the original Q* file is copied before the changes are made.  One good thing though is that the original recipients are still in that file, but not in a format that IMail will route to if they are requeued by just copying the file.  You have to read and adjust the file with a script or manually if you wish to do this.  For instance, the following would be an original Q* file:
QF:\\Dffe0699801363abc.SMD
Hmail.mailpure.com
Iffe0699801363abc
X1
WE:\mail.mailpure.com
E0,
S<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
NRCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
R<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

After a ROUTETO action sends the message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the COPYFILE action is applied with this switch, the Q* file would look like the following:
QF:\\Dffe0699801363abc.SMD
Hmail.mailpure.com
Iffe0699801363abc
X1
WE:\mail.mailpure.com
E0,
S<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
NRCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
R<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
As you can see, the "R" line is what IMail will actually deliver to, but you can read the file, delete the "R" lines and change the "NRCPT TO" lines to "R" lines and then requeue the message.

And another note about this.  If others prefer the original Q file instead of the modified one to be used with COPYFILE, please voice your opinions.  I can't understand how the modified Q file is useful at all, so I believe the behavior should be changed entirely instead of adding a switch and further complicating the code.  This essentially would make it just like HOLD, but not a final action, and with the ability to have JunkMail headers in the D* file.

Matt

Matt wrote:
Let me try to summarize what seems to be the consensus here.

With AVAFTERJM ON, only certain final actions will result in no virus scanning.  Those apparently include the following:

    HOLD
    DELETE
    DELETE_RECIPIENT (for the deleted recipients)

On the following final actions, virus scanning will occur:

    DELETE_RECIPIENT (for non-deleted recipients)
    ROUTETO
    COPYTO
    WARN
    SUBJECT
    HEADER
    FOOTER
    ALERT
    LOG
    BEEP

The following final actions are unclear to me as to the behavior and I haven't seen a mention about them here:

    COPYFILE (for the file copied not the one delivered, might copy the virus)
    MAILBOX (maybe bypasses virus scanning, could use ROUTETO instead)
    ATTACH (not sure how this affects virus scanning, could bypass it in certain situations or all)
    BOUNCEONLYIFYOUMUST (might bypass virus scanning)

It would seem that the only new issues under the most common configurations where spam is captured to accounts using ROUTETO would be that undetected viruses could land in these accounts.  This is probably not that much E-mail on the typical day, though it could potentially include banned extensions that would create bounces with JunkMail running last.  There would be an advantage to this in that it would help stop backscatter though.  One could create a filter to segregate messages in these spam capture accounts that contained a common virus executable so that they could be handled differently, for instance, one could use the HEADER action or WARN action to tag the headers and then use IMail rules to move these messages into a special folder or delete them from the spam capture accounts if that was preferred.

Would people agree that this is accurate?

Matt

Darrell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
HOLD, DELETE, ETC - Does not get virus scanned with AVAFTERJM
ROUTETO, SUBJECT, Etc - Does get virus scanned.
Think of it this way anything that ends up being delivered somewhere (i.e. mailbox etc) gets scanned.
Darrell

Matt writes:
This is the crux of the issue that I would like to figure out.
I am however under the impression that if you DELETE a message, Declude Virus never gets it.  I suspect that HOLD and MAILBOX are also that way.  I am unsure about ROUTETO, and that is what really matters to me.
As far as savings of resources, it is apparently huge, especially for those running multiple virus scanners.  Virus scanning takes more CPU than all but the biggest JunkMail configs (things like custom filters with thousands of lines of BODY or ANYWHERE searches).  I know that on my system I Delete about 70% of all messages, ROUTETO about 10%, and deliver about 20%.  I would like to save on scanning what I would otherwise be deleting with JunkMail.
Matt

Keith Johnson wrote:
Markus,
   However, Darrell mentioned that the AV scanner still runs once
action is taking agains the SPAM message (i.e. routeto, subject, etc.).
Is this not true?
Keith