Hi!

> Satheesh Bandaram commented on DERBY-699:
>
> Derby needs to treat many schemas starting with SYS.. as system
> schemas... like SYSCAT, SYS, SYSFUN, SYSSTAT, SYSPROC, SYSIBM,
> SYSCS_DIAG, SYSCS_UTIL. It may be possible to add future system
> schemas too, like SYSFUN was added recently. Any change to allow
> user SYS schemas needs to be made very carefully.

I agree that Derby needs to reserve a part of the namespace for future
system schema names. But I find it unreasonable to reserve all names
starting with "SYS" because "SYSTEM" is a very common word and that
this would disallow schema names like "SYSTEM_DIAGNOSTICS",
"SYSTEM_STATUS" etc.

A common prefix like this might be a hurdle for porting existing
schemas and applications to Derby (that's the way I discovered the
restriction).

I also see from the comments in the code that this restriction was
added as a DB2-compliance, and think that we should revert this
restriction.

The best approach would probably be to add a non-standard character to
the identifiers so that a non-standard prefix could be
used. E.g. "SYS$".

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway