I thought Rick's suggestion of adding the "UNSIGNED" keyword was a good solution -- we can get the best of both worlds...

David

Francois Orsini wrote:
Since Sybase, MySQL and MS SQL Server have had support for UNSIGNED TINYINT for many years (at least for 2 of them), offering support for an UNSIGNED TINYINT rather than SIGNED at this point makes more sense and can only be good for Derby's adoption (and that a sufficient reason for adding it IMHO) (SIGNED TINYINT could always be enabled later _if_ required but JDBC does not require the type to be signed in the first place) - it brings value for getting Derby more adopted from users looking to migrate from other known and popular RDBMS (not just from the ones which got most market shares)...and as far as the footprint as previously mentioned, it is good to offer support for a 1-Byte datatype which does matter indeed when running in a small-device environment.

--francois
begin:vcard
fn:David W Van Couvering
n:Van Couvering;David W
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;Database Technology Group
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Senior Staff Software Engineer
tel;work:510-550-6819
tel;cell:510-684-7281