Hi again,

I'm putting forth a suggestion on my own here, since I have not received any feedback.

a) What about mirroring the Derby source tree at 'java/testing/org/apache/derby'?

We would then have something like this (seen from 'java/' in trunk):
-
|-- build*
|-- testing
|   `-- org
|       ` -- apache
|            |-- derby
|            |   |-- authentication*
|            |   |-- catalog*
|            |   ...*
|            |   |-- osgi*
|            |   `-- vti*
|            `-- derbyTesting
|                |-- functionTests*
|                `-- unitTests*
`-- tools*

b) Another alternative would be to add another directory in 'java', for instance 'unittesting'.

It would also be nice if someone with knowledge of the build system could say a few words if any of these approaches would cause major changes in the build.xml files.

I expect the new directory structure to only contain JUnit unit tests. There is a name-clash with the existing unit test functionality of the old harness.

I have not yet thought much about how these tests would be run as part of suites etc.

Regards,
--
Kristian

Kristian Waagan wrote:
Hello,

I want to write a unit test for 'services/io/RawToBinaryFormatStream.java", using JUnit.
I know how to write the test itself, but where should I put it?
The directories/categories under functionTests do not seem quite right to me. My first thought was to put the test under unitTests instead, but that seems to contain files for the special unit test harness that we have.

Also, say this class is made package private. Testing it indirectly through other public classes/methods might be a big hassle. Should we consider adding a parallel source three to be used for unit tests written in JUnit?

For now I will just write my RawToBinaryFormatStream-tests as part of a functional test for LOBs. In my opinion, this is not the best solution, and I would like to hear what the community thinks about these issues.
Have I overlooked better, existing ways to do this?