On 8/8/06, Kristian Waagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi again,

I'm putting forth a suggestion on my own here, since I have not received
any feedback.

a) What about mirroring the Derby source tree at
'java/testing/org/apache/derby'?

One thing we want to avoid is test code having identical package names
as engine/client code. This could lead to test code accidentally
ending up in the jar files and increasing footprint, and is one of the
reasons why we have the test code in a separate package,
org.apache.derbyTesting, from the non-test code. So, as long as your
tree were amended to make derby = derbyTesting, it would probably be
ok.

b) Another alternative would be to add another directory in 'java', for
instance 'unittesting'.

I'm not entirely against this, but I think it's desirable to keep all
the test code in java/testing. Hopefully, there's a way we can keep
all the test code in one dir, java/testing, but keep the unit testing
code separate from the functional tests.

It would also be nice if someone with knowledge of the build system
could say a few words if any of these approaches would cause major
changes in the build.xml files.

Neither approach would be difficult to implement from a build
perspective, although, if all the new unit tests are in their own
tree, then you avoid having to workaround the complexities of building
the files already in
java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests.

I expect the new directory structure to only contain JUnit unit tests.
There is a name-clash with the existing unit test functionality of the
old harness.

Maybe we should just rename that package 'oldUnitTests' until they can
be converted to junit tests?

andrew