"I am having trouble finding the thread, so perhaps I dreamed all this"

I have days like that :)

Thanks for your help.

Brett

From: Katherine Marsden [mailto:kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:06 PM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Quetion on out memory usage

On 2/15/2012 9:41 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
Thanks for the reply Kathrine.   So in theory however if Derby's estimate works
correctly, the sorting should spill to disk and there should be no OOM errors,
right?

I was looking for the thread about this but can't find it just now and
apologize for being so vague. Perhaps though this will jog someone else's
memory.

 As I recall, the scenario that was causing trouble was one where to start out
with there was enough memory for the sort  and then during processing other
things consumed memory meaning there no longer was room. Having chosen to go
down this path there was no turning back and Derby would run out of memory on
the query.  As to whether it "should"  spill to disk in that case I don't know,
I think the determination was  at least that no one knew how to do do it.
Again, I am having trouble finding the thread, so perhaps I dreamed all this....

Kathey