I agree with Øystein, given that the standard JDBC api for the maximum
rows is Statement.setMaxRows then Derby should be able to take advantage
of that regardless of when it is set.

This doesn't imply that a plan gets reprepared, though that could be a
solution, it could be implemented as a plan that is flexible enough to
handle an optional max rows.

Dan.