On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 10:49 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> On 2019-03-25 10:37 a.m., Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> >     On a default gnome install on any modern screen, only
> >     about 25% of the top bar contains any information at all. It can't be
> >     "the most important real estate" and be so underutilized.
> >
> > It's important because it's the UI element that is *always visible* at
> > all times.
>
> So let me hide it. Everyone's happy.

Off-topic different conversation - feel free to find the corresponding
ticket (which likely will explain GNOME's visual identity to you).

> > If an application is in the background, why do you need to see an icon
> > all the time?
>
> Because I got an IM while I was away from my desk. It shows up in the
> completely useless notification menu that is under the clock. Its
> notification got clobbered by Rhythmbox's notification that the song
> changed while I was on the can. I wonder why I never see my original
> notification.

You may want to disable "Plugins > Notifications" in Rhythmbox to not
flood your notification area with things you don't consider helpful.

> Alternative: oh hey, the Pidgin icon is flashing!

Some flashing stuff is a good description of super annoying distracting
behavior (compared to a default notification in the notification area).

> > If the application needs to notify you of any state change while it's
> > hidden, it can use a notification; if you need an icon to interact with
> > a background application, you can literally re-launch it from the dash
> > or from the applications grid, and you'll get an application window.
>
> Keepass: I want the icon so I can click it and it makes the correct
> password available o nthe clipboard.

I don't see a big issue in switching to a window in which Keepass is
running. That's probably two clicks instead of one though, admitted.

> Screen recording: I want a place on
> screen to click to stop it without recording a window change.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R exists:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-keyboard-shortcuts.html

> Screen sharing: icon shows me that someone is connected (this
> information is useless hidden in a menu).

I'd expect an icon in the upper right corner (like for screencasts).

Cheers,
andre

--
Andre Klapper  |  ak...@gmx.net