On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:58:23PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 18-3-2011 2:42, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:22:49PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>For those with ftp access .. the new beta version there is somewhat
> >>experimental as I rewrote some of the (lua) font code
> >>
> >>- alternative basemode definitions (context only, experimental)
> >>- cleaned up node mode initialization
> >
> >No time for testing, but a suggestion I'd for a while: currently
> >features supported in base mode need to be registered explicitly based
> >on assumption that certain features tags will be used with lookup types
> >supported in base mode. But in practice a feature tag can contain any
> >lookup, e.g. I know fonts that use contextual alternates under 'liga'
> >tag. My suggestion is to allow any feature tag in base mode and then
> >check the actual type of the registered lookups (which might already be
> >the case).
>
> this is somewhat tricky as basemode is a frozen approach: we set up
> the ligatures once and no real analysis later on takes place
>
> indeed checking takes place so in principle any feature that has
> ligature, alternate of substitution is dealt with;
>
> of course it's no problem to enable 'all' features in basemode, as
> long as we let complaints about funny side effects go into the void;
> i'll have to think about how to provide that variant efficiently

My real use case is that I've stylistic sets that I need to use in base
mode (for math) but I need to manually register ss01..ss20 features in
base mode first though they all are gsub_single lookups, so if context
would simply check if the feature is gsub_single (or gpos_pair etc.) and
reject it if not, it would be more efficient than hand picking certain
features as the check will be done anyway.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny