On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilb...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Luke Wagner <lwag...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, I was wondering if we could go a step further and allow
> > (optional) user interaction with the rendered DOM elements.  That way
> > you could, say, select text on a 3d surface with a mouse or use an
> > <input> tag.  It seems like this would be possible if the vertex/pixel
> > shaders were constrained to, say, affine transformations which starts
> > to sound rather similar to the whitelisting approach mentioned
> > elsewhere in this thread for mitigating timing attacks.
>
> I think this should be handled outside of the WebGL API. This seems to
> be a bunch of extra work and complexity to handle a relatively narrow
> use-case. I believe it's much easier to just provide functionality in
> the platform to allow a library to implement such specific uses.

Some features are always going to be really hard to provide with fully
custom UI. For example <input type="file">, for security reasons. Also full
custom UI for text entry is practically impossible to implement on par with
browser built-in UI, due to the need to integrate with system IMEs,
assistive tech, spellchecking dictionaries, etc.

That's why I think finding ways to integrate live Web content into WebGL
scenes would be really valuable.

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto