On Saturday 08 December 2007 11:31:50 am Nelson Bolyard wrote:
> I need a way to bring some people up to speed on the details of PKI and
> RFC 3280, ideally without me spending a lot of time teaching.
>
> I'm hoping there's a good book that offers a tutorial about PKI, and
> explains certs, CRLs, OCSP, and the (IETF) standard extensions for certs
> and CRLs.  It needs to cover the use of policy extensions.
>
> Ideally it would NOT spend a lot of text on other subjects (e.g. how
> crypto algorithms work, or how SSL or S/MIME or IPSec or other security
> protocols work, but that's not a major consideration.
>
> Can you suggest a good book for that purpose?
If found Chapter 3 of the OpenSSL book from OReilly to be quite OK.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/openssl/
Chapter 10 of the Secure Programming Cookbook (same authors, mostly) is
probably about as good. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/secureprgckbk/
Both of those are quite openssl-centric, and it is just one chapter in each
book.

That book recommends "Planning for PK: Best Practices Guide for Deploying
Public Key Infrastructure" by Russ Housley and Tim Polk. I've never even seen
a copy.

If (and only if) you want them to be cynical about PKI, they should read:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/pkitutorial.pdf
(also http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Epgut001/pubs/notdead.pdf or
http://csdl.computer.org/comp/mags/co/2002/08/r8toc.htm)

If that isn't enough: