On Tuesday 03 June 2008 07:28:33 Michael Ströder wrote:
> Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> > Paul, I think that the general idea (of Frank and others) is, to make a
> > requirement on new roots and act on the 1024 bit keys at some point in
> > the future.
>
> I also support the idea of throwing out 1024 bit keyed roots at a not so
> distant point in the future.

For those 1024-bit RSA Root Certificates that are *already included* in
Mozilla software, I think that a distinction should be drawn between:
  A. Those that expire before NIST's 2010 deadline.
  B. Those that expire soon after 2010.
  C. Those that expire well beyond 2010.

For now, let "soon after = before 2013" and "well beyond = after 2013".

I think that type A and B Root Certificates can be left to expire naturally
before being removed from future versions of Mozilla software.

I have a suggestion regarding what Mozilla could do *right now* with type C
Root Certificates...
  1. Remove each type C Root Certificate from Mozilla ASAP, but also...
  2. Give each affected CA the opportunity to submit a replacement 1024-bit
RSA Root Certificate for inclusion in new versions of Mozilla software.  Each
of these replacement Root Certificates would exactly match the to-be-removed
Root Certificate (in terms of Subject name, Public Key and Subject Key
Identifier), but would have a different Serial Number and a more acceptable
Not After date.

Advantages:
  + Mozilla would be able to prevent the reliance on 1024-bit RSA Root CA Keys
according to a time schedule set by Mozilla.
  + This prevention time schedule would take effect ASAP.  There would be no
need to wait until 2013 to remove type C Root Certificates from Mozilla,
which means that...
  + Versions of Mozilla software published between ASAP and 2013 would not
trust any 1024-bit RSA Root Keys beyond 2013.  (I think that, come 2013, we
can expect some users to be using old versions of Mozilla software).

Disadvantages:
  - Each affected CA would have to spend some time reissuing their Root
Cetificate.
  - Mozilla representatives would have to spend some time checking the
replacement certificates and writing patches to remove/include the
original/replacement certificates.
  - There may be some (solvable, I think) interoperability problems for CAs
that choose to include the "authorityCertSerialNumber" field in the Authority
Key Identifier extension of certificates issued by their 1024-bit Root
Certificates.

Am I trying to make things too complicated?
Or does anybody think that this idea is worth considering?

> I also hope that this will sort out some of
> the issues with root CA certs concerning so-called "cross-signing" and
> liberal use of sub CAs.
>
> > are issued from that root since we've successfully transitioned to the
> > newer 4096 bit root.
>
> FYI: A VPN product of a major vendor simply does not work with 4096 bit
> root.
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
Comodo - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Fax Europe: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

Comodo CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
  3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
  Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by replying
to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to this email may be
monitored by Comodo for operational or business reasons. Whilst every
endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from viruses, no liability
can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use their own virus checking
software.