>Yes, they should ... But the big question is how do they actually do that and
>get software to take notice of that suicide note ?
>I don't think that can really be done without standards.

Of course. I'm not saying we don't need a standard, just that the lack of a
standard *today* should not prevent us from thinking about, and possibly
designing, a solution to our problem. If we're sure we agree on the problem,
and can mostly agree on a solution that would work for us, we can get started
in the standards process in about a day. It is silly (but common) to start the
standards work before we are sure that it is what we want.

>Updating software with a new root module is a lot simpler. Of course that
>process has its own set of security issues as well.

It also doesn't work for users who are using a different root module. "Barely
traceable management action" != "open message protocol".

--Paul Hoffman