On 29/1/09 19:24, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
Ian G wrote, On 2009-01-29 10:01:
Hmm, nope, apologies, I wasn't clear.  What I wanted was something like
the behaviour shown on that page, when it comes in contact with a cert,
to be incorporated as behaviour in firefox.  So that when firefox trips
over a cert, it could show something like that.

|    There is a problem with this cert!
|
|    ==>  *The cert was not issued by a known CA*<==
|         The cert has expired or is not yet valid
|         The cert was issued for a different website
|         This is a self-signed cert and is unreliable
|         The cert has been revoked
|         The cert uses an old, bad feature or algorithm

You want the browser to show a list of all possible things that
can go wrong, including the ones that are irrelevant to the current
situation, but highlight the relevant ones?

How is that an improvement over showing only the relevant issue(s)?

* if you show a selection of items, then the user tends to read the actual selection, read some of the others, and then think about what that means. Think about buying a new laptop online, and how the eye responds to the choices, as compared the unchanging specifications. Each choice demands a user attention cycle; unchanging specs are ignored.

* The location is learnt, so when the thing moves around for different scenarios, the user again wakes up and realises something has differed.

* once they have decided to accept all #1s, and then #2 comes up, and they decide to accept that, they now have something to ask a technical support person. "what's the difference between #1 and #2?" is a question that is useful; whereas "what's with all this clicking I have to do, just to get to my p0rn site?" is much harder to deal with.

iang