Peter Reilly wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Paul King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > We've recently integrated Jepp (http://jepp.sourceforge.net/) into our
 > use of Ant via the BSF engine. This is very useful because we use Python
 > for scripting quite a lot and it allows Python code to be used in full
 > while also allowing access to Java objects.
 >
 > This has resulted in a Java OOM error, which I suspect is due to this
 > integration change. There is a comment in the Jepp usage instructions
 > that close() must be called on the Jep objects. This is done inside the
 > terminate() method of the BSFJepEngine, which is called by the
 > BSFManager on all engines. However I cannot see anywhere where
 > BSFManager.terminate() is called inside ScriptRunner or elsewhere inside
 > Ant. Should terminate() be called by ScriptRunner(), perhaps in the
 > finally section in the executeScript method?

Just had a quick look,
  we should call the terminate method - it is part of the life cycle that
  we missed.

Looking at some of the languages:
  beanshell does not use the  terminate method
  jruby does
  rhino does not
  groovy does not
  jython does not
  netrexx does not
  jacl does not

so it is not surprising that we missed this.

The odd thing is that javax.scripting does not seem to have
a corresponding method and the jruby javax.script engine
calls the terminate for each invoke method.

 Others will be more familiar with the ScriptRunnerXXX classes than me
 but in WebTest, its Script task has a keep flag. This might be a useful
 concept to have here. Basically the flag allows you to distinguish between
 scenarios where you want the binding retained across tasks (and hence
 in the scenario above I suspect you don't want terminate() called) and
 the case where you want a fresh manager/runner for each run. Again, I
 haven't done a complete analysis of what gets called where in Ant at the
 moment. Just noting an important use case for WebTest which I know is
 in use in the field in many places.

It should be possible to modify the scripting code in such a way that
will not affect people that use the code.

OK, that is good to know. Here is a sample of what WebTest does:

<scriptStep keep="true" language="javascript">
   var foo = "bar";
</scriptStep>
<!-- other tasks here ... -->
<storeProperty name="upperfoo" value="#{script:foo.toUpperCase()}"/>
<verifyProperty name="upperfoo" text="BAR"/>

The storeProperty task relies on the same BSFManager being used
with all of its variables intack. Under the covers it is calling
the eval() method in BSFManager. If you get around to making this
change, I'll test out that this stuff still works.

Cheers,
Paul.