Hi Ingrid,

I must admit that I didn't look more deeply into the proposal yet, so
just some comments on your comments:

If an action in Calc leads to changes in Chart, and Calc triggers the
changes actively, Chart doesn't necessarily need it's own actions in
that case. When I perform Undo in Calc, it will also lead to necessary
changes in Chart.

So depending on the implementation, it can have side effects if some
implementation thinks it is responsible for updating other data, which
is then also been done buy any others implementations Undo.

Whether this will have unwanted effects mainly depends on how much
status information the Undo action is using.

For example, when the user action leads to inserting some data object in
an Array of implementation A , and leads to calling Insert(nPos, pData)
in implementation B. A might only recognize nPos and a copy of Data.
This is good enough for undo, and also following redo.
But since that implementation probably doesn't keep a full data array as
Undo data, the implementation will probably look similar.
In the end, one Undo could lead to removing one data object in A, but 2
in B (one in it's own Undo, 1 in Calc's Undo).

But maybe this doesn't matter, because every implementation knows anyway
whether or not an other Implementation does it's own undo stuff?

At least it's good to be aware of this.

How does an implementation actually know whether or not to create new
Undo actions?

On manipulations via User/API it needs to, but if manipulations are
currently done because of Undo, you mustn't create new Undo actions.

I see in Frank's email "determining whether an Undo/Redo operation is
currently in progress", but couldn't find it in the API.

Now looking into the attached API more deeply:

It seems that the idea is that any extension could put it's own Undo
actions in some others UndoManager.

But what if the Extension terminates (no crash, but by intention), while
I still work with the document?
The Undo actions could have pointers to some data which doesn't exist
anymore, and the extension can't remove the actions from the
UndoManager. Avoiding pointers could mean making the Undo actions more
"expensive" (memory, time). For example, Writer and EditEngine simply
keep Paragraph* when paragraphs are being deleted completely.

Last but not least: When one common API for Undo should be used
everywhere longterm, it needs to have support for Repeat (which then can
lead to other funny situations, when some primary undo actions don't
have repeat support, while the according hidden actions have...)

Malte.