I agree, I don't think its a great idea to drop thrift until the back
end tools are 100% compatible and have some level of agreement from the major
users of
Cassandra.

Paying off technical dept though I'm all for, and I think its key to the
long term success of the application. Right now Supercolumns to someone
new coming to the system might think "Hey, these things look great. Lets
use them" and in a few months time hate all things that are cassandra.

Ray Slakinski