On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Blake Eggleston <beggles...@apple.com>
wrote:

> Clearly, we won’t get to this point right away, but it should definitely
> be a goal.

I'm not entirely clear on why anyone would read in what I'm saying that it
shouldn't be a goal. I'm a huge proponent of this and of putting emphasis
on quality in general, and because it's Friday night and I'm tired, I'm
gonna add that I think I have a bigger track record of actually acting on
improving quality for Cassandra than anyone else that is putting word in my
mouth.

Mainly, I'm suggesting that we don't have to tie the existence of a clearly
labeled stable branch (useful to user, especially newcomers) to future
improvement in the "releasability" of trunk in our design of a new release
cycle. If we do so, but releasability don't improve as quickly as we'd
hope, we penalize users in the end. Adopting a release cycle that ensure
said clearly labeled stable branch does exist no matter the rate of
improvement to the level of "trunk" releasibility is feels safer, and
doesn't preclude any effort in improving said releasibilty, nor
re-evaluating this in 1-2 year to move to release stable releases from
trunk directly if we have proven we're there.