If you all have never seen the movie "grandma's boy" I suggest it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLQ5DHmw-U

There is one funny seen where the product/project person says something
like, "The game is ready. We have fixed ALL THE BUGS". The people who made
the movie probably think the coders doing dance dance revolution is funny.
To me the funniest part of the movie is the summary statement that "all the
bugs are fixed".

I agree with Sylvain, that cutting branches really has nothing to do with
"quality". Quality like "production ready" is hard to define.

I am phrasing this next part as questions to encourage deep thought not to
be a jerk.

Someone jokingly said said 3.0 was the "break everything" release. What if
4.0 was the "fix everything" release?
What would that mean?
What would we need?
No new features for 6 months?
A vast network of amazon machines to test things?
Jepsen ++?
24 hour integration tests that run CAS operations across a multi-node mixed
version cluster while we chaos monkey nodes?
Could we keep busy for 6 months just looking at the code and fix all the
bugs for Mr. Cheezle?
Could we fix ALL THE BUGS and then from that day it is just feature,
feature, feature?
We sit there and join and unjoin nodes for 2 days while running stress and
at the end use the map reduce export and prove that not a single datum was
lost?