Thanks Jeff, that was very well put.

I would quibble on one point, though: the ship has never sailed on topics
of community.  How the board acts towards the PMC and companies in the
community matters a great deal for continuing relations, as well as for
other projects.

The question is: did the board members all behave in a manner that the PMC
felt was reasonable and impartial?  What I saw suggested they did not; if
the PMC members agree, then perhaps the discussions should be made public*
so the community can decide their view.  Because if it is the case, that is
a *serious* problem the ASF needs to address.  The board must be held to an
even higher standard than the PMCs it governs.

*as the board appears to have just invested you with the authority to do,
if Jim is to be believed.