Hi Mark,

Thanks, that was a calm and diplomatic email.

recognise where they might need to apologise

I will start the ball rolling here, as I have not always been generous in
my interpretations of others' actions, and have certainly contributed to
escalation.

But I wonder if you would also help get the ball rolling; your reasonable
tone gives me hope that you can.  The topic for me has been: can board
members recognise publicly where they have misstepped.  Doing so provides
assurances to the whole ASF community that the board can be trusted.

https://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg48692.html

In this email chain not long ago, you attempted to apply a misreading of
the ASF guidelines to non-ASF individuals.  When I pointed this out, you
went silent.  In that chain, as now, I had a righteous indignation that no
doubt inflamed the topic, and could have resolved the issue with more
diplomacy.  I'm also sure you had excellent intentions.

Nevertheless, you did misstep as a board member by quite badly misapplying
the guidelines.  With no public recognition of this, I was left with an
impression of unaccountability; I don't know how others responded.

I think it would be fantastic if board members, as people in positions of
authority, lead by example and began recognising where their public
behaviour has missed the mark.  Perhaps that would promote those in less
lofty positions to begin doing the same, and greater trust all round.