Hi folks,

Cassandra JIRA is huge, active, and ever-changing. It's easy to miss
tickets you may care about, or if you want to start contributing, sometimes
it's hard to know where to start. I'm going to make an attempt to pick a
few dozen JIRAs each week (or month?) that would benefit from some more
eyeballs - if you have any tickets that you feel haven't gotten the
attention they deserve, feel free to add them to the list.

Topics for discussion (not necessarily a "go write a patch" type ticket,
but things that could use interested parties discussing options):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12944 - Internal diagnostic
events. Pretty involved proposal attached.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12912 - Warnings when the
superuser logs in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9608 - Get Cassandra ready
for java9 - if anyone has time to help find issues with jdk9, the oracle
team asked for feedback some time ago, I'm not sure if they're still
interested, but it'd be good for us to identify issues anyway.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13315 - talks about using
more meaningful names for consistency levels (as aliases)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13241 - talks about
dropping default chunk size for better IO performance (may have a blocking
subtask of making compression info more efficient before we do it, but you
may still be interested in the discussion)

Patches that could use a reviewer:

LHF (MAY be suitable for someone who is a solid programmer, even if they're
not super familiar with Cassandra internals - even if you're not a regular
contributor, you can review and +1 if you're confident that the fix is
correct and has been reasonably tested - see the 'How to review' checklist
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/development/how_to_review.html ):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13307 - Making CQLSH
downgrade protocol version automatically
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13067 - AWS EFS fixes
(presents as huge filesystem, overflows internal variables)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13263 - Incorrect
ComplexColumnData hash code implementation
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12719 - Typo in docs
examples

Proposed New features without a reviewer:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13269 - Snapshot support
for secondary index
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13270 - Add function hooks
to deliver Elasticsearch as a Cassandra plugin
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13304 - Add checksumming to
the native protocol
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13268 - Add 2i to static
columns

Enhancements without a reviewer:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9989 - Optimize BTree
builder
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9988 - BTree Leaf-only
iterator
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12837 - Multithreaded
support for rebuild_index

Bugs without a reviewer:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13323 -
IncomingTcpConnection closed on single bad message
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13020 - Hint delivery fails
when prefer_local enabled

The new "official" docs sections that could use some contributors! This may
be the lowest barrier to entry if you want to get involved - the docs are
kept in source control ( https://github.com/apache/cassandra/tree/trunk/doc
) , so we can change them with patches against those files submitted
through JIRA. No github pull requests, please, just submit a patch on JIRA
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13160 or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12449 as examples):

Some examples that are just stubbed out:

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/architecture/index.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/architecture/dynamo.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/architecture/storage_engine.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/data_modeling/index.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/read_repair.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/repair.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/hints.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/backups.html
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/bulk_loading.html

I'll try to do this regularly. Again, if you have any tickets you feel need
attention, please reply!

- Jeff