First: I am positively surprised how many guys would like to contribute to
docs.

Some days ago I posted to the dev-list about doc-contribution. I think this
applies here again. From my point of view "in-tree docs" are a good choice
for technical references that go closely with the code versioning.
But for content-oriented docs like tutorials, FAQs, Knowledge base I think
this is not a good place especially if the doc-contributors are not that
deeply involved into dev/code.
For that purpose, Stefan Podkowinsky created a repo for collaboration that
"Proxies" access to the CS repo. Thats a nice gesture but IMHO that can
only work as an intermediate solution. "User-Docs" do not require a CI or
complex build + publishing process. They require a simple and "beautiful"
way to contribute. Especially if you wish to encourage more "outside" users
to contribute.

Isn't there a way to split tech docs (aka reference) and more
user-generated and use-case related/content oriented docs? And maybe to use
a more modern WIKI software or scheme. The CS wiki looks like 1998.