Hi Pedro,

I did a quick read through of your strategy, and have a few personal
thoughts:

First, writing a compaction strategy is a lot of work, and it's great to
see new contributors take on ambitious projects. There are even a handful
of ideas in here that may be useful to other strategies.

The overall concept is interesting - many companies have "peak" times and
"offpeak" times, and being able to run compaction only during offpeak may
be really helpful. This concept is actually in the old wiki dating back
many years , for example Ed Capriolo gave a talk (
https://www.slideshare.net/edwardcapriolo/m6d-cassandrapresentation - check
out slide #28 ) where he showed how to achieve this with cron and nodetool.

The actual logic you use to select candidates probably isn't perfect,
because it can be pretty nuanced. But rather than focus on that, if we take
advantage of the larger concept that it's useful to be able to turn
compaction on/off on a schedule, there may be another opportunity - rather
than try to re-implement some of the concepts of LCS without using LCS, you
could just make BurstHourCompactionStrategy a wrapper around any
user-specified compaction strategy. That is, it may be much less work and
much more valuable if you actually let users specify which underlying
compaction strategy to wrap, and then simply use the underlying the wrapped
getNextBackgroundCompactionTask()

For the project to be willing to accept a 5th compaction strategy, I
imagine committers will want to see some benchmarks and hopefully some
concrete examples of how it's beneficial and solves a problem that can't be
better solved in other ways. I think at a high level many people can
understand how it's useful, but you may want to compare/contrast it to Ed's
method in the deck above (in particular, using nodetool and cron, you can
have multiple "compaction-enabled" windows during the day, and you can
throttle it so that it never fully stops, but slows down enough that it
doesn't impact latencies.

Again, that's just my personal thought based on a quick read through.

Nice work so far!
- Jeff