On the same page as Michael here. We disable debug logs in production due
to the performance impact. Personally I think if debug logging is necessary
for users to use the software we're doing something wrong. Also in my
experience, if something doesn't reproduce it will not get fixed. Debug
logging helps, but I've never seen a case where an actual bug simply
*doesn't* reproduce eventually, and I'm sure if this issue appears debug
logging could be enabled after the fact for the relevant classes and
eventually it will reoccur and we could solve the problem. I've never seen
a user say no to helping debug a problem with patched jars/changes to their
system (like logging). I'd much prefer we pushed that harder rather than
just saying "Everyone gets debug logging!". I'm also really not sold that
debug logging saves the day. To me it mostly just speeds up the
identification process, it generally doesn't expose magical information
that wasn't available before, you just had to think about it a bit more.

In a way the real issue might be that we don’t have nightly performance
> runs that would make an accidentally introduced debug statement obvious.

This is an issue, but I don't think it's the *real* issue. As already
noted, debug logging is for debugging, which normal users shouldn't have to
think about when they are just operating the software. We shouldn't risk
performance regressions just for developer convenience.