Simon,
You could still do load aware repair outside of the main process by reading
Cassandra's metrics.
In general, I don't think the maintenance tasks necessarily need to live in the
main process. They could negatively impact the read / write path. Unless
strictly required by the serving path, it could live in a sidecar process.
There are multiple benefits including isolation, faster iteration, loose
coupling. For example - this would mean that the maintenance tasks can have a
different gc profile than the main process and it would be ok. Today that is
not the case.
The only issue I see is that the project does not provide an official sidecar.
Perhaps there should be one. We probably would've not had to have this
discussion ;)
Dinesh

    On Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 10:12:56 PM PDT, Qingcun Zhou