> We see this in larger clusters regularly. Usually folks have just
> 'grown into it' because it was the default.

I could understand a few dozen nodes with 256 vnodes, but hundreds is
surprising. I have a whitepaper draft lying around showing how vnodes
decrease availability in large clusters by orders of magnitude, I'll polish
it up and send it out to the list when I get a second.

In the meantime, sorry for de-railing a conversation about repair
scheduling to talk about vnodes, let's chat about that in a different
thread :-)

-Joey