Re-raising a point made earlier in the thread by Jeff and affirmed by Josh:

–––
Jeff:
>> A hard date for a feature freeze makes sense, a hard date for a release
>> does not.

Josh:
> Strongly agree. We should also collectively define what "Done" looks like
> post freeze so we don't end up in bike-shedding hell like we have in the
> past.
–––

Another way of saying this: ensuring that the 4.0 release is of high quality is
more important than cutting the release on a specific date.

If we adopt Sylvain's suggestion of freezing features on a "feature complete"
date (modulo a "definition of done" as Josh suggested), that will help us align
toward the polish, performance work, and dog-fooding needed to feel great about
shipping 4.0. It's a good time to start thinking about the approaches to
testing, profiling, and dog-fooding various contributors will want to take on
before release.

I love how Ben put it:

> An "exciting" 4.0 release to me is one that is stable and usable
> with no perf regressions on day 1 and includes some of the big
> internal changes mentioned previously.
>
> This will set the community up well for some awesome and exciting
> stuff that will still be in the pipeline if it doesn't make it to 4.0.

That sounds great to me, too.

– Scott