I really don't see any benefit at all in having any additional Java 1.7
specific build and testing changes for the 2.2 branch. The 2.2 version
is reaching EOL and will only get critical patches until then anyways. I
also can't remember any reports on regressions in 2.2 bug fix releases
specific to 1.7. So what's the actual problem we want to solve here?

As for 4.0, we're going to ship multi-release jars, which are targeted
against Java 8, but also contain Java 11 classes that will only be used
when executed under Java 11 (also currently just a single class). I can
see two issues that need our attention with that:
 * We should make sure to use the "_build_multi_java" target for our CI
jobs, so we're really testing the same build that we would ship. It's
probably not going to make a real difference, but who knows..
 * It would also be nice to have the option to run tests on CI under
Java 11, although we only provide "experimental" support for that Java
version. Nice to have at this point, as there will be plenty of bugs in
4.0 to fix, until we should spend time looking more closely for more
subtle Java 11 issues. But if someone wants to contribute any work to
make this happen, I'd be glad to have that option running tests on Java
11, so don't get me wrong.