> People might be itching to get out, particularly those who are unlikely to
> be harmed, but most agree to stay put for the benefit of the community.

The freeze has been there for quite a while now and as far as I can see the
goal of all those working on C* right now is to have 4.0 out. Will there
really be a move of resources knowing that the new work will never be
released if 4.0 is not?

On one side we have the fear to delay 4.0 on the other the fear to lose
people who would want to contribute but are not interested in contributing
to testing.

I trust that there are people or companies interested in contributing but
not in testing. Amazon if I recall correctly mentioned that they wanted to
contribute and are probably not so much interested in testing 4.0. I
imagine that it might be the same for some other vendors.
As a developer looking to contribute to an open source project, I would
probably avoid projects that have been frozen for more than a year.

Allowing people with diverse goals to get involved can only help the
project in my opinion. As once you have been involved you will want your
contribution to be released.

As far as I am concerned a new branch will not change my main goal which is
to have 4.0 out of the door.