it seems unlikely this conversation will be any different than the one we
had on the same topic 11 weeks ago

The big difference to me is whether the turning point on the conversation
is the extra work required by people working on 4.0 to merge up to a new
trunk or if the turning point is on a desire to enforce a certain focus of
work on project contributions. I thought it was the former; seems like it's
the latter.