I think that from Instaclustr it was stated quite clearly multiple
times that we are "fine to throw it away" if there is something better
and more wide-spread.Indeed, we have invested a lot of time in the
operator but it was not useless at all, we gained a lot of quite
unique knowledge how to put all pieces together. However, I think that
this space is going to be quite fragmented and "balkanized", which is
not always a bad thing, but in a quite narrow area as Kubernetes
operator is, I just do not see how 4 operators are going to be
beneficial for ordinary people ("official" from community, ours,
Datastax one and CassKop (without any significant order)). Sure,
innovation and healthy competition is important but to what extent ...
One can start a Cassandra cluster on Kubernetes just so many times
differently and nobody really likes a vendor lock-in. People wanting
to run a cluster on K8S realise that there are three operators, each
backed by a private business entity, and the community operator is not
there ... Huh, interesting ... One may even start to question what is
wrong with these folks that it takes three companies to build their
own solution.

Having said that, to my perception, Cassandra community just does not
have enough engineers nor contributors to keep 4 operators alive at
the same time (I wish I was wrong) so the idea of selecting the best
one or to merge obvious things and approaches together is
understandable, even if it meant we eventually sunset ours. In
addition, nobody from big players is going to contribute to the code
base of the other one, for obvious reasons, so channeling and
directing this effort into something common for a community seems to
be the only reasonable way of cooperation.

It is quite hard to bootstrap this if the donation of the code in big
chunks / whole repo is out of question as it is not the "Apache way"
(there was some thread running here about this in more depth a while
ago) and we basically need to start from scratch which is quite
demotivating, we are just inventing the wheel and nobody is up to it.
It is like people are waiting for that to happen so they can jump in
"once it is the thing" but it will never materialise or at least the
hurdle to kick it off is unnecessarily high. Nobody is going to invest
in this heavily if there is already a working operator from companies
mentioned above. As I understood it, one reason of not choosing the
way of donating it all is that "the learning and community building
should happen in organic manner and we just can not accept the
donation", but is not it true that it is easier to build a community
around something which is already there rather than trying to build it
around an idea which is quite hard to dedicate to?